If you run a professional services firm, these are 10 rules to live by.
Recently, my friend Chris Johnson sent me a terrific email. Chris runs a company called Simplifilm, that makes terrific online videos, explainer videos, and trailers. He did the trailer for my book, “Youtility” among other things. Chris is really trying to build a special organization at Simplifilm, and he sent me this list of 10 rules that he uses in his company, and he gave me permission to share those with you. (watch video to see me deliver these in front of the Luxor pyramid)
If you run a professional services firm, whether it’s a consulting company like mine or Chris’, an accounting firm, a doctor’s office, if you’re a lawyer, a financial planner, anything along those lines, if you do construction, if you make swimming pools, this will work for you. I want you to write these down. (you can highlight your favorites to tweet them)
1. When something is said to one person, it is said to the whole company. Clients should never have to repeat themselves.
2. Clients should never have to quality control anything. It should be right before the client gets it.
3. The client never has to ask where their project is. They are told proactively where their project is on a daily basis. (Simplifilm is amazing at this)
4. Client communications should always be acknowledged.
5. The client should never have to resend anything.
6. The client’s time is the most valuable resource. Never waste it.
7. Do what’s right for the client and share what’s worked for other clients.
8. Clients need gestures of respect at all times. (I really like this one)
9. Clients never need to hear how hard you’ve worked. Every project should seem effortless.
10. Don’t seek gratitude for work delivered. After all, you’re just doing your job.
Sprout Social Shoutout
Today’s Sprout Social Shoutout is for my friend Chris Johnson from Simplifilm. I really appreciate what he’s doing over there. If you need any videos or explainers or trailers or those kind of things, Chris is a great, great guy. Check him out in social media and on the Web.
About Jay Today
This video is from Jay Today is my near-daily 3-minute video where I talk about social media, content marketing, business and life. JayToday is available on Youtube, iTunes (as a video podcast, and now as an audio podcast too), and at JayToday.tv. The show is sponsored by Sprout Social (which I use for my social media), and Candidio (a great video editing service).
More Jay Today Videos From This Week: