Social Media Is a Long Game
Gary builds businesses.
During his career, he has grown a family wine business by 20,000% in 5 years, founded one of the world’s hottest digital agencies, co-founded an investment fund, acted as an angel investor and venture capitalist, hosted a show, written books, and maintained an active public speaking schedule. He has consistently been ahead of the curve when it comes to recognizing the next big thing in social media and has evolved into a self-proclaimed “land-grabber”.
This gift of spotting trends and jumping in early has catapulted him into the level of social fortune teller and THE one to follow online.
Despite having achieved a meteoric rise in the eyes of social worldwide, Gary still day trades attention like he just got online yesterday. Why does somebody like him need to draw attention to himself on a daily-near-hourly basis? To him, it’s all about the long game and measuring success in inches, not miles.
In This Episode
- Why every little relationship means the possibility of success years down the line
- How being early leads to being an influencer
- Why being in spaces you both do and do not control gives you an advantage in the branding game
- How different app DNA and challenging the status quo can lead to successful failure that matters
Quotes From This Episode
“Early matters more than people think.” —@garyvee (highlight to tweet)
“You have to be where people’s attention is.” —@garyvee
“If you really want to be at the top, you’ve got to be great at the branding part as well and you do a lot of things that don’t make sense that day but they make a lot of sense long term.” —@garyvee
“I always want to be out there. I want to maintain my relationships that matter. They play out later.” —@garyvee
“Branding is deep. Life is deep. It’s not black and white. It’s gray.” —@garyvee (highlight to tweet)
“The way you make your money is more important than how much you make.” —@garyvee
“People care about one-to-one relationships with the people they care about the most, and whoever maps that wins.” —@garyvee
- Gary Vaynerchuk on Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness
- Jay’s Video Review of the #AskGaryVee Book:
See you next week!