About The Business of Story Podcast:
Welcome to the Business of Story podcast, where the world’s best storytellers from business, Hollywood, and beyond teach you how to use stories to communicate and connect with your customers. While technology has given us all global reach with our messages, it’s still the ancient bewitchery of storytelling that connects us with one another. You will learn from some of the brightest content creators, advertising creatives, authors, professors, makers, marketers, and brand raconteurs in the business. Within every show you will learn at least one actionable tip that will make your stories more engaging, and help you advance your personal or professional quest further, faster.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
A lot of great information about story telling. It is hard to pick one episode, they are all good!Risingmaster
I recently came across Park Howell's excellent podcast. I love how he weaves in his personal stories with the interviews of his guests. If you are involved with sales or marketing for your business definitely check out this show.RivetingFM
Nancy Duarte, the Principal of Duarte Inc., and Patti Sanchez, her Chief Strategy Officer, join the Business of Story Podcast to share the tactics behind their masterfully persuasive presentations.
Teamwork Makes the Dream Work
Today, we have two phenomenal women on the Business of Story Podcast.
Nancy Duarte is the Principal of Duarte Inc., the largest design firm in Silicon Valley, not to mention the fifth-ranked women-owned firm.
She is a communication expert who has been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, Fortune, Wired, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Huffington Post, The L.A. Times, CNN and more. Her firm has had a hand in some of the most memorable visual brands in both business and culture.
Patti Sanchez, Duarte Inc.’s Chief Strategy Officer, is also the co-author of Nancy’s latest book, “Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbols”. This new book reveals how the world’s greatest leaders use powerful communication to move ideas and teams forward.
Patti and Nancy have mastered the art of incorporating story patterns into business communications, and they join the Business of Story Podcast to share their signature toolkit and strategies for creating stories that drive goals and galvanize teams.
In This Episode
- Nancy and Patti take us through the five stages of their Venture Scape: dream, leap, fight, climb, arrive
- How to use story tension to persuade an audience
- Powerful story and communication tools that leaders can use to galvanize employees and customers
- Re-dreaming and refusing to be satisfied with the status quo of past successes
Quotes From This Episode
“It’s the job of a leader to light the way through communication that helps people understand where they are and where they need to go, and be confident they can take that next step forward.” —@PattiSan
“When we arrive at a goal, we don’t call it a moment of victory or a moment of celebration. We call it a moment of reflection because you need to reflect on the adventure you just had and capture all the learning. Sometimes you don’t win. Sometimes you lose. I think it’s really important that we acknowledge that, in life and business, not all of our stories have happy endings.” —@NancyDuarte
“Storytelling is a really powerful tool to help people feel in their hearts, as well as understand in their minds, how you want them to change.” —@PattiSan
“How do you keep yourself and your people energized, especially when you’re still far enough away from your end goal that it doesn’t motivate you in and of itself? Again, this is a place where storytelling is not just an important communication tool, but a coping mechanism.” —@PattiSan
“In dark moments we have to remind ourselves that we’re capable, tell stories of past triumphs, tell ourselves that we have it in us to complete this journey.” —@PattiSan
- Nancy’s Twitter handle, @nancyduarte
- Patti’s Twitter handle, @PattiSan
- The company’s Twitter handle, @Duarte
- “Slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations,” by Nancy Duarte
- “Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences,” by Nancy Duarte
- “Illuminate: Ignite Change through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbols,” by Nancy Duarte and Patti Sanchez
- Nancy Duarte analyzes Martin Luther King Jr.’s, “I Have A Dream” speech
- “Structure Your Presentation Like a Story,” by Nancy Duarte, The Harvard Business Review
- “Steal the Show,” by Michael Port
- “An Inconvenient Truth“
- Howard Schultz of Starbucks
- Ernest Shackleton
- Arizona State University School of Sustainability