About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the longest-running marketing podcasts in existence (10 YEARS and counting), and was recently recognized as the #1 Audio/Podcast Series by the Content Marketing Awards.
Our purpose? Making sure that we speak to real people doing real work in social media.
Listeners get inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how teams at companies like Google, Reddit, Glossier, Zillow, Lyft, Oracle, and dozens more, staff, operate, and measure their social media programs. With 500+ episodes, the Social Pros Podcast brings the humanity of social media to the forefront, while providing incredibly useful marketing strategies that listeners can immediately implement.
Thank you to our sponsor ICUC Social.
Follow Social Pros on LinkedIn.
To inquire about becoming a guest, please email Leanna Pham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
Jason Falls, Director of Digital Strategy at Cornett, joins the Social Pros Podcast to debunk common myths and misconceptions around influencer marketing. We also talk about his new book, “Winfluence.”
Influence vs. Influencer
Is the letter “r” the only difference between influence and influencer, or is there more to it than that?
Jason Falls, Director of Digital Strategy at Cornett, states that when you talk about influence, it’s not about the channel, the influencer, or even the person. It’s not a noun, it’s a verb. So, when you’re talking about influence, you’re talking about your strategic purpose. As Jason said in this episode of the podcast, “you want to influence an audience to take action.”
Understanding the difference between influence and influencer is so important. In this episode, Jason reveals whether it’s more beneficial to have a popular influencer promote your brand vs. someone who talks passionately about your brand to a smaller audience. We also dig into why he prefers the term “influence marketing” over “influencer marketing” and some common misconceptions around influencer marketing.
In This Episode:
- 08:59 – How influence shifts the perspective to the action rather than the channel
- 12:02 – Why we often make the mistake of relying on influencers rather than influence
- 15:18 – Why people tend to be skeptical of influencers and their authenticity
- 18:52 – What makes influencer marketing work
- 21:01 – How to find the sweet spot when searching for the right influencer for your brand
- 23:05 – Why it’s better to have fewer influencers who you have a relationship with vs. many influencers
- 29:53 – Who should be responsible for influencer marketing within an organization
- 31:38 – The pros and cons of asking an influencer to be category exclusive
- 38:01 – How social pros can use the three most important words in influence marketing to their benefit
Quotes From This Episode:
If the influencer says, ‘Here's a product that someone paid me to show you,’ they're going to shrug their shoulders and ignore it. Click To Tweet
“You risk hurting your own reputation with your audience if you lock in too many product exclusives.”
“If the influencer says, ‘I’m partnering with this brand and this product, and here’s why, because I think this is going to be meaningful to you,’ the customer will listen.”
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners
- Find out if your website is ADA & WCAG compliant with help from aCe
- Get $30 off of your Tailwind Subscription!
- Read ‘Winfluence’ by Jason Falls
- Visit Jason’s website