About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the most popular marketing podcasts in the world, and was recently named the best podcast at the Content Marketing Awards. Listen for real insight on the real people doing real work in social media. You get the inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how companies like Ford, Dell, IBM, ESPN, and dozens more staff, operate, and measure their social media programs.
It wasn't enough that Jay Baer wrote a book, has an amazing blog and does amazing work -- he now had to add podcasting to his arsenal. Break a leg!@NathanRKing
I started following Jay on Twitter about a year ago and have really appreciated the great content he has put out. This podcast goes above and beyond though, and really gets to the meat of what is going on in the social and digital media space. Keep up the good work @jaybaer!@phaskell
This show is so good that I can't stop listening to it. Learn how to use social media and ecommerce to grow your business.@jacpol74
Thank you so much for providing this not only interesting show, but also fun!@BrieGF
Joseph Jaffe, Admiral, Co-founder at The HMS Beagle joins the Social Pros Podcast to explain why all companies and social networks are built to suck.
Please Support Our Sponsors:
Huge thanks to our amazing sponsors for helping us make this happen. Please support them; we couldn't do it without their help! This week:
We Are All in the Survival Business
Washed up social media networks litter the shores of the internet. Old-time favorites like MySpace and Bebo are nothing but foggy memories for most of us and even the big leagues aren’t safe anymore. Nowadays, we’re all in the survival business doomed to delay our inevitable ‘suckage’ for as long as possible.
Facing this daunting reality, companies need to uncover a way to cheat the sands of time. Serial entrepreneur and seasoned author, Joseph Jaffe; Admiral, Co-founder at The HMS Beagle has created a new discipline called survival planning. It is designed to help companies outsmart their own demise.
If you’re worried about the future of your business, take a page from Charles Darwin’s book, who once said; “it’s not the strongest of species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one that is most adaptable to change.” You may not have the power to avoid ‘suckage’ forever. But, at the very least, this episode will help guide you on your journey to survival.
In This Episode:
- 05:07 – Why you need to be adaptable to survive in business
- 06:33 – Why companies need to figure out the ‘talent design’ challenge
- 11:05 – Why most marketers are “Built to Suck”
- 15:36 – How to survive the ‘corporate apocalypse’
- 20:26 – How social can both prevent and manifest a corporation’s ‘suckage’
- 23:00 – Which social networks are the most ‘Built to Suck’
- 39:57 – Why some companies survive, and others don’t
Quotes From This Episode:
“Social is like water; without it, we die. Social should be the glue that connects humans with other humans.” – @jaffejuice
If you’re not figuring out the talent design challenge, you’re not just losing the talent war, you’ve probably lost it. Click To Tweet
“Keep the best of the old but reject the worst of the old. Embrace the best of the new but reject the worst of the new.” – @jaffejuice
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce here
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners here.
- Find out more about Emma’s email marketing platform here
- Read Joseph Jaffe’s NEW book, “Built to Suck: The Inevitable Demise of the Corporation…and How to Save It?”
- Check out ‘Marketing Is Everything’ by Regis McKenna
- Learn more about Joseph’s H.M.S. Beagle consultancy firm
- Listen to the Jaffe Juice Podcast
- Read Jim Collin’s book, ‘Built to Last’