About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the longest-running marketing podcasts in existence (10 YEARS and counting), and was recently recognized as the #1 Audio/Podcast Series by the Content Marketing Awards.
Our purpose? Making sure that we speak to real people doing real work in social media.
Listeners get inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how teams at companies like Google, Reddit, Glossier, Zillow, Lyft, Marvel, and dozens more, staff, operate, and measure their social media programs. With 600+ episodes, the Social Pros Podcast brings the humanity of social media to the forefront, while providing incredibly useful marketing strategies that listeners can immediately implement.
Follow Social Pros on LinkedIn.
To inquire about becoming a guest or show sponsor, please email our Executive Producer, Leanna Pham, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
Tom Webster, Senior Vice President of Strategy and Marketing at Edison Research, joins the Social Pros Podcast to discuss how and why Facebook lost an epic portion of users in just two years.
Is This the End of the Road for Facebook?
The social media landscape seems to have leveled off over the last few years with no major changes to its user base to trouble ourselves with. That is, until now. According to Edison Research’s 2019 Infinite Dial Report, Facebook’s user base declined by a staggering 15 million since 2017.
Tom Webster, the Senior Vice President at Edison Research, put the numbers in perspective when he compared Facebook’s usage decline to the population of Pennsylvania & New Mexico combined. The results from this comprehensive and highly-regarded survey follow a similar pattern as last year, which saw a Facebook usage decline of eight percent in 2018.
Is this the end of the road for Facebook? Why, after so many years of growth and prosperity, has Facebook seen such a drastic reduction in usage in the United States? Tune in to hear from Tom Webster, the man with his finger on the pulse of what’s happening on social media and who can tell us once and for all if it’s time to finally abandon Facebook as a social media tactic.
In This Episode:
- 07:10 – What the findings from this year’s Infinite Dial Report means for the future of Facebook
- 14:46 – Why Pinterest is a great platform for ad targeting
- 16:31 – An insight into the questions that Edison Research receives from major social networks
- 19:46 – Why you shouldn’t underestimate the power of LinkedIn as a social platform
- 22:10 – How smartphone and tablet usage has impacted screen real estate
- 29:49 – Why the popularity and usage of speaker technology will continue to evolve
Quotes From This Episode:
“Pinterest is an excellent place to spread your seed in hopes of your seed finding purchase.” – @webby2001
Although LinkedIn’s usage number doesn’t appear to change year after year, lying beneath its apparent flat surface is a significant churn and a vibrant and active platform. Click To Tweet
“If you’re useful, trustworthy & can reduce some of the friction in your customer’s lives, you’ll secure a place on their smart speaker.” – @webby2001
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce here
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners here
- Get your 14-day free trial with Pattern89 here
- Learn more about Tom’s work by visiting his website
- Find out more about Edison Research here
- Check out The Infinite Dial 2019 Report here
- Download The Podcast Consumer 2019 Report here
- Read “Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype” by Jay Baer here
- Read “The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds” by Michael Lewis here
- Try Tom’s recommended Sipsmith gin, “V.J.O.P.”
What’s your one tip for becoming a social pro?
Don’t cheat your audience. The Infinite Dial is a piece of content marketing and we don’t skimp on it. I’d much rather be known for something than to be known. So, take the pains to really be the expert in your ‘thing’ and not just the best at spreading it.
If you could do a Skype call with any living person, who would it be?
Tom would choose to do an interesting video call with the renowned psychologist and Nobel Prize in Economics winner, Daniel Kahneman, who has been the most influential person in his life and work.