About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the most popular marketing podcasts in the world, and was recently named the best podcast at the Content Marketing Awards. Listen for real insight on the real people doing real work in social media. You get the inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how companies like Ford, Dell, IBM, ESPN, and dozens more staff, operate, and measure their social media programs.
Thank you to our sponsor ICUC Social.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
Joe Galbo, Social Media Specialist at the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, joins the Social Pros podcast to chat about social strategy and public safety messages.
Consumer Product Safety Content Doesn’t Need to be Dull
How do you spread an important safety message over social media? Should you stay serious or make it a bit more fun?
It all depends on the audience, timing, subject matter, and a whole host of other things.
Joe Galbo, Social Media Specialist at the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC), describes his process for crafting messages that engage and resonate.
Joe shares how the USCPSC balances serious messaging with fun and inventive graphic design to get the message across in the best way possible. You’ll also hear some of the strategies around notorious internet trends like laundry pod consumption and more.
Joe also discusses his approach to social media in general and why it’s vital to always keep learning and developing your skills.
In This Episode:
- 5:32 – Joe explains what the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission does
- 7:04 – Joe names a few examples of his favorite USCPSC graphics
- 9:40 – How the USCPSC became very graphic-focused in its messaging
- 12:38 – The balance between making serious life-saving messages fun vs. serious
- 18:20 – Why Joe would love his strategies to be tested to see how successful they are beyond the social sharing aspect
- 19:10 – How the USCPSC collaborates with broadcast media to share important safety messages
- 22:07 – What the approval process looks like for new content
- 27:10 – How the USCPSC approaches social listening to keep on top of potentially dangerous internet challenges
- 31:26 – Why Joe believes you should always try out new social media channels
- 34:00 – Why you always need a vision for what you want to achieve in a government agency
- 38:50 – Joe’s advice for dealing with intentionally spread misinformation on social media
- 43:32 – Joe’s one tip for anyone looking to become a social pro
- 46:33 – Why Joe would pick Guillermo del Toro to have a video call with
Quotes From This Episode:
You can't just use words to explain to someone how to do something safely. You really have to show them. Click To Tweet
“You can’t just use words to explain to someone how to do something safely. You really have to show them.”
“When a recall happens, and you might own a dangerous product, you don’t want anyone’s witty nonsense at that moment.”
“One of the challenges with the 21st-century world is these types of internet challenges are happening all the time. So it’s a matter of discerning what internet challenge is going to rise to the level of a crisis?”
Some Examples of Tweets Done Right:
— US Consumer Product Safety Commission (@USCPSC) April 24, 2021
Good morning from the spider bowl.