About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the most popular marketing podcasts in the world, and was recently named the best podcast at the Content Marketing Awards. Listen for real insight on the real people doing real work in social media. You get the inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how companies like Ford, Dell, IBM, ESPN, and dozens more staff, operate, and measure their social media programs.
It wasn't enough that Jay Baer wrote a book, has an amazing blog and does amazing work -- he now had to add podcasting to his arsenal. Break a leg!@NathanRKing
I started following Jay on Twitter about a year ago and have really appreciated the great content he has put out. This podcast goes above and beyond though, and really gets to the meat of what is going on in the social and digital media space. Keep up the good work @jaybaer!@phaskell
This show is so good that I can't stop listening to it. Learn how to use social media and ecommerce to grow your business.@jacpol74
Thank you so much for providing this not only interesting show, but also fun!@BrieGF
Rohit Bhargava, Founder and Chief Trend Curator of Non-Obvious Company, returns to the Social Pros Podcast to discuss 2019’s non-obvious trends for social media.
Please Support Our Sponsors:
Huge thanks to our amazing sponsors for helping us make this happen. Please support them; we couldn't do it without their help! This week:
Finding the Trends
Just as in fashion, music, or pop culture, every year brings with it a new set of trends for social media. This happens on both the consumer’s side of things as well as on the marketer’s.
Trends often seem like they happen overnight, but in reality, there is a bit of a buildup. Spotting a trend and understanding it before it becomes obvious is the key to staying ahead of the game when it comes to social media. Not every trend and strategy is effective for every business, however, so being secure in who you are as a brand is crucial when analyzing trends for social media.
By keeping a firm grasp on your brand values while also having a willingness to adapt to an ever-changing landscape, you can set yourself apart from the competition and ensure that you’re spending your time and budget in the most effective way possible.
In This Episode
- 05:41 – Why “muddled masculinity” is one of the “non-obvious” trends for 2019.
- 08:52 – How “innovation envy” can lead businesses to make unnecessary changes for the sake of standing out.
- 10:51 – Why not all businesses benefit from creating a spectacle.
- 17:17 – How to market your small business successfully on a small budget.
- 20:21 – How to “deliberately downgrade” your social media to become more effective in certain areas.
Quotes From This Episode
Coming in and saying, 'This is the way it is,' without having earned the right to do that always backfires in social media. Click To Tweet
“Some brands are just wasting their money because they’re just doing something viral, but it isn’t generating any word of mouth.” — @rohitbhargava
“There’s a strategic way to use social platforms. The temptation for business owners is to do everything on every platform.” — @rohitbhargava
- Get the new State of Marketing Report for free from Salesforce here.
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners here.
- Purchase the Non-Obvious 2019 edition here.
- Purchase the Non-Obvious Guide to Small Business Marketing here.
See you next week!