About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the most popular marketing podcasts in the world, and was recently named the best podcast at the Content Marketing Awards. Listen for real insight on the real people doing real work in social media. You get the inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how companies like Ford, Dell, IBM, ESPN, and dozens more staff, operate, and measure their social media programs.
Thank you to our sponsor ICUC Social.
Follow Social Pros on LinkedIn.
To inquire to be or recommend a guest, please email email@example.com.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
David Armano, Global Strategy Director at Edelman, joins Social Pros to discuss the relationship between word of mouth and influencer marketing.
Consumers Trust Influencers
Did you know that 63% of consumers trust influencers about brands more than they trust brands about brands? This has got to be one of the most undeniable proof points for the viability of peer to peer influence. Yet, so many brands still shy away from influencer marketing. This week we talk to David Armano about why you need to rethink this mindset.
The truth is that consumers are more likely to believe what they hear about a brand via word of mouth than what the brand says about themselves. Consumers listen to influencers because they trust them, and they’re entertained by them in some way. However, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows in the influencer space.
As David Armano cautions, the influencer marketing space has a lot of rampant fraud. Yes, brands can leverage influencers to get in front of the right audiences. But, technologies also have the power to drive fake followers and engagement using bot farms, which can damage the authenticity of the results.
In This Episode:
- 06:08 – How Edelman structures their social digital team
- 08:34 – How social campaigns have evolved over the last decade
- 15:36 – How much testing and experimentation brands should do in social digital
- 20:17 – How Edelman’s Trust Barometer works
- 25:07 – The relationship between influencer marketing and word of mouth
- 29:28 – How to assess whether a spokesperson is suitable for a brand promotion
- 35:48 – How issues in crisis communication has changed in the era of social
Quotes From This Episode:
“The price of operating in the social space is that it’s very iterative. You try something and then you know what worked and what didn’t, and you try it again. That’s the nature of the social space.” – @armano
Most of the influencers that we work with are paid or compensated in some way…but it's also about matching up your influencers with the right brand. So that it's not just transactional, because that comes through in their authenticity Click To Tweet
“Managing crisis is in three phases. It’s the initial damage control, then it’s the response, and then you can begin to do things that are meant to build trust back.” – @armano
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners
- Find out more about how Airtable can help you organize your work and get your free guide on how to use your social media calendar better
- Learn more about Edelman and how they can help you earn trust through communications
- Download the results from the 2019 Edelman Trust Barometer