About Experience This!:
Welcome to Experience This! where you’ll find inspiring examples of customer experience, great stories of customer service, and tips on how to make your customers love you even more. Always upbeat and definitely entertaining, customer retention expert Joey Coleman and social media expert Dan Gingiss serve as your hosts for a weekly dose of positive customer experience. This show will help you attract and keep more customers so you can grow your business, increase your profits, and have more fun in the process. A fun collection of quick-hit segments filled with deep learning and takeaways, you don’t want to miss this audio experience!
Apple Podcast Reviews:
Love these characters! Joey and Dan break down the customer experience, uh, experience, in a fun way.by Brief is the New Black
Such a great pair! I have followed both of these guys online for a while and was stoked that they teamed up for a podcast. The podcast is super easy to listen to and provides a lot of insight that is actionable for my work. Excited for what is to come. Thanks Joey and Dan!marykmetcalf
Why you shouldn’t be afraid to publicly admit your mistakes, how Netflix brought fun to its required communications, and how you can harness the power of positive feedback.
Bite-Sized Delight From the Episode:
- Excellent customer relationships start with leadership.
- Having fun with required communications can buy you a lot of goodwill.
- Experiential marketing helps customers understand your value by trying it for themselves.
CX PRESS: Elon Musk Tweets Customer [01:00-09:34]
This week’s article is “Billionaire Elon Musk responds to unhappy Tesla customer on a Friday night, teaching a brilliant lesson in customer service,” by Catherine Clifford. When a customer tweeted at Elon that they had a bad experience with a pushy salesperson at Tesla, he tweeted back (38 minutes later!) that “we just want people to look forward to their next visit, that’s what really matters.” There are many lessons to learn from how Musk deals with this situation.
- Your speed of response matters, especially if you can show proactive work to make the situation better.
- The fact that Elon Musk himself is responding to a random comment shows that their leadership is committed to providing an exceptional customer experience for every single customer.
- The way to get someone to come back to you, again and again, is to provide a remarkable customer experience.
SAY WHAT: Netflix Cease and Desist [09:35-20:46]
When Netflix learned about a popular Stranger Things-themed pop-up bar in Chicago, they could have sent them a standard cease and desist letter. These letters are usually filled with boring legalese and have a vaguely threatening tone that ends up escalating the situation. Here’s what they ended up sending:
Something I didn’t understand when I was practicing law: just be a good human being. #CX Click To Tweet
People will respond to your decency by being decent themselves. #CX Click To Tweet
Make the required remarkable at every opportunity. #CX Click To Tweet
- Just because it needs to serve a legal purpose doesn’t mean that it needs to be boring or pick a fight.
- People will generally do the right thing if you give them a chance.
- Have fun with your required communications.
WHAT ARE YOU READING: Principles [20:48-29:26]
Joey is about halfway through a great new book by Ray Dalio, the head of the largest and best-performing hedge fund in the world, called Principles. Bridgewater Associates has made money for their clients in 23 of the last 26 years. When it comes to advice, Ray says that you need to be aware of two things to be successful: know what the best decisions there are to be made and have the courage to make them.
- Start writing down your principles, what you know to be true in your personal and professional life.
- Share these principles so others can have better insight into who you are.
CHECK OUT THIS NUMBER: 35% [29:28-32:12]
35% of small business owners are wondering, should we be proactively reaching out and nurturing our customer relationships? This stat comes from Oracle’s “Sleepless Over Customer Experience” report. This understandably riles up Joey.
- 100% of businesses need to proactively reach out to nurture their customer relationships.
Be a Part of the Show!
We’d love to hear about your great customer experiences, which segments you like, and your ideas for future episodes!
Are You Looking for Things We Referenced?
- Billionaire Elon Musk responds to unhappy Tesla customer on a Friday night, teaching a brilliant lesson in customer service
- Netflix Ends Unauthorized ‘Stranger Things’ Bar With A Super Classy Letter
- Principles by Ray Dalio
- Sleepless Over Customer Experience: Small Business Leaders Top Sales and Service Concerns and How to Fix Them
See you next week!