About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the longest-running marketing podcasts in existence (10 YEARS and counting), and was recently recognized as the #1 Audio/Podcast Series by the Content Marketing Awards.
Our purpose? Making sure that we speak to real people doing real work in social media.
Listeners get inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how teams at companies like Google, Reddit, Glossier, Zillow, Lyft, Oracle, and dozens more, staff, operate, and measure their social media programs. With 500+ episodes, the Social Pros Podcast brings the humanity of social media to the forefront, while providing incredibly useful marketing strategies that listeners can immediately implement.
Thank you to our sponsor ICUC Social.
Follow Social Pros on LinkedIn.
To inquire about becoming a guest, please email Leanna Pham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
Adam Pierno, the Associate Vice President Marketing Strategy of Arizona State University joins the Social Pros Podcast to discuss how universities can leverage social for powerful branding.
Strategies that ASU Uses to Reach Their Audience
Branding today is worlds apart from what it used to be 100 or even 10 years ago. The strategies used back then may as well be locked inside a time capsule and tossed into the sea. The world has changed. And, the way brands use social media to engage with their audiences has changed.
Nobody knows this better than Adam Pierno, who understands how to build brands by finding what is meaningful to their target audiences. Brands can learn more about their ‘best customer’ from observing pop culture than staring blankly at a soulless growth chart. And, when you’re America’s largest university, knowing how to integrate brand components to create a consistent persona across all your social channels is vital.
A mistake that many brands continue to make is when they try to become a student of the platform or a student of the tools. As Adam teaches in his new book, ‘Specific’, you’ve got to become a student of the audience. In this episode, Adam reveals how you can do just that and reach out to your audience in a way that feels personal and specific to what they care about on social media today.
In This Episode:
- 05:00 – How brands can leverage a centralized marketing function to manage social chatter
- 08:24 – The online mechanisms ASU leverage to boost student advocacy
- 12:20 – An insight into the strategy and key functionalities behind ASU’s robust rewards app
- 17:17 – How to work with corporate partnerships to benefit both parties
- 21:42 – How to identify the best agencies to work with from the timewasters
- 24:40 – Why you need to understand visuals no matter your job role
- 27:41 – How to use new techniques to communicate with your ‘best customer’
Quotes From This Episode:
“You have to be sensitive about how your brand is perceived and what people think because media can start snowballing in a hurry.” – @apierno
Even if you're a writer or strategist, you need a sense for visuals and video - it's a language you've got to be fluent in speaking. Click To Tweet
“Understand the context of what you’re doing enough to understand what things are important enough to fight over and what things aren’t.” – @apierno
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce here.
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners here.
- Find out more about Emma’s email marketing platform here
- Read Adam Pierno’s NEW book, “Specific” here
- Check out Adam Pierno’s book, “Under Think It” here
- Listen to The Strategy Inside Everything podcast here