About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the longest-running marketing podcasts in existence (10 YEARS and counting), and was recently recognized as the #1 Audio/Podcast Series by the Content Marketing Awards.
Our purpose? Making sure that we speak to real people doing real work in social media.
Listeners get inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how teams at companies like Google, Reddit, Glossier, Zillow, Lyft, Marvel, and dozens more, staff, operate, and measure their social media programs. With 500+ episodes, the Social Pros Podcast brings the humanity of social media to the forefront, while providing incredibly useful marketing strategies that listeners can immediately implement.
Thank you to our sponsor ICUC Social.
Follow Social Pros on LinkedIn.
To inquire about becoming a guest, please email our Executive Producer, Leanna Pham, at email@example.com.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
Jenny Fowler, Director of Social Media Strategy at MIT, shares how she makes social content for this academic stalwart accessible, engaging, and consistent.
Accessibility and organization
Managing social for an historic institution like MIT requires agility, clear-thinking, and great strategic planning. In Jenny Fowler, Director of Social Media Strategy, they have all of those essential skills and a whole lot more.
Jenny is the only dedicated social media resource at MIT, with no direct reports, but coordinates over 200 department communications professionals to keep MIT’s voice, content, and purpose consistent across every channel. As she says in this episode, “my philosophy has always been to empower my community to succeed.”
Social media in higher education is a different beast to many other sectors, but Jenny has tamed it with grace and intelligence. Walk a mile in her shoes with this episode of Social Pros and you’ll be sure to pick up some fascinating tips and tricks along the way.
In This Episode:
- 05:40 – How social is structured at MIT, with Jenny as the only full-time dedicated resource
- 08:13 – How Jenny shares her expertise with the 200 departmental communications teams that produce social content
- 11:18 – MIT’s most strategically-important platforms
- 19:05 – Which metrics matter for Jenny – and why strategy is always the deciding factor
- 26:08 – How MIT are using social to communicate essential information in the pandemic
- 29:22 – Why being asked to “work your social media magic” isn’t innocent, but indicative of a deeper ignorance of social media professionals’ role and skills
- 37:36 – How Jenny uses social to make complex academic topics more accessible
- 39:45 – How Jenny started exploring MIT’s TikTok strategy
Quotes From This Episode:
Policing the amount of accounts that grow on campus is like herding cats. My philosophy has always been to empower my community to succeed. Click To Tweet
“I see a like and a share as a vote for that type of content.” @thejennyli
“You have to stay within your culture and your wheelhouse – I had people telling math jokes on our TikTok!” @thejennyli
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners
- Download Salesforce’s e-book “Boost Sales Productivity: Get More from Your Sales Team”
- Find out how you can launch your first LinkedIn campaign with $100!
- MIT’s Social Media Hub