About Social Pros Podcast:
Social Pros is one of the longest-running marketing podcasts in existence (10 YEARS and counting), and was recently recognized as the #1 Audio/Podcast Series by the Content Marketing Awards.
Our purpose? Making sure that we speak to real people doing real work in social media.
Listeners get inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how teams at companies like Google, Reddit, Glossier, Zillow, Lyft, Oracle, and dozens more, staff, operate, and measure their social media programs. With 500+ episodes, the Social Pros Podcast brings the humanity of social media to the forefront, while providing incredibly useful marketing strategies that listeners can immediately implement.
Thank you to our sponsor ICUC Social.
Follow Social Pros on LinkedIn.
To inquire about becoming a guest, please email Leanna Pham at email@example.com.
Apple Podcast Reviews:
The Social Pros podcast has quickly become a favorite in my feed! I'm consistently impressed by the engaging conversations, insightful content, and actionable ideas. I truly learn something every time I listen!@Arlie K
This is absolutely an awesome listen for anyone in communications or social media!!@Will31C
This podcast has become one of my staple weekly podcasts for learning about marketing! Love the conversations that they have and it's always enjoyable and educational!@Simonstone95
Love the podcast - informative, in depth and spot on for any business size.@MissTriathlon
Greg Hounslow, Emerging Media Manager at WestJet, joins the Social Pros Podcast to discuss how the airline has propelled their online presence to become the number one brand on social in the airline industry.
Building a Number One Brand on Social
Influencer marketing has definitely made its mark on social. But, as with most things in life, there’s a right and wrong way to do influencer marketing. Many businesses make the mistake of pursuing influencers just because they have a large following, but that doesn’t always mean that they can add real value to your business.
According to Greg Hounslow, the Emerging Media Manager at WestJet, you should also consider the content output an influencer provides and whether it can actually help drive your brand and ROI forward.
WestJet is the number one airline on social media, winning multiple awards for their strategy and performance. Other brands in the airline industry struggle to rival their success and their secret is simple – rather than stick to the same strategy year after year, they’ve continued to evolve alongside social media.
In This Episode:
- 07:17 – How the social program at WestJet is organized
- 11:56 – How WestJet’s team expectations have shifted over the last five years
- 15:00 – The benefits of evaluating organic reach through fan engagement and evaluating paid from a revenue generation perspective
- 17:06 – How WestJet’s content strategy has evolved
- 20:37 – How the customer care team responds to negative feedback
- 29:22 – Greg predicts the future of chatbots
- 34:40 – When influencer marketing works and when it doesn’t
Quotes From This Episode:
“There’s still a little bit of a guessing test element to social media, you never quite know if it’s going to work.” – @greghounslow
If it's good content in the organic world, it's probably going to be good content in the paid world too. Click To Tweet
“Having something like a chatbot that’s able to take care of the simple things allows the social care team to actually provide that next level of service when the people actually need it.” – @greghounslow
- Get the new State of Marketing report for free from Salesforce
- Find out more about the community at SocialMedia.org with a special form for Social Pros listeners
- Learn more about how emma can help improve your email marketing strategy
- Listen to episode 107 of the Social Pros Podcast to hear Greg discuss how WestJet uses social media to enhance customer relations