About Experience This!:
Welcome to Experience This! where you’ll find inspiring examples of customer experience, great stories of customer service, and tips on how to make your customers love you even more. Always upbeat and definitely entertaining, customer retention expert Joey Coleman and social media expert Dan Gingiss serve as your hosts for a weekly dose of positive customer experience. This show will help you attract and keep more customers so you can grow your business, increase your profits, and have more fun in the process. A fun collection of quick-hit segments filled with deep learning and takeaways, you don’t want to miss this audio experience!
Apple Podcast Reviews:
Love these characters! Joey and Dan break down the customer experience, uh, experience, in a fun way.by Brief is the New Black
Such a great pair! I have followed both of these guys online for a while and was stoked that they teamed up for a podcast. The podcast is super easy to listen to and provides a lot of insight that is actionable for my work. Excited for what is to come. Thanks Joey and Dan!marykmetcalf
How even a restroom can make for an unexpected customer experience, what most businesses miss about the importance of employee interactions, and why simple is good for everyone.
Bite-Sized Delight From the Episode:
- Why an unexpected customer experience creates powerful word-of-mouth.
- The difference between how you think you impact your brand and how customers experience it.
- How you can take a page from the Cubs.
- An opportunity to learn more about customer experience.
DISSECTING THE EXPERIENCE: An Unexpected Customer Experience [01:57-11:12]
We talk a lot on the show about getting the little things right because when you make something remarkable that is completely unexpected you get people talking. When Dan was at the Social Media Marketing World Conference in San Diego, he had an unexpected customer experience in the restroom, of all places, that he’s still talking about.
If someone can make an experience out of a urinal, then what can you do for your business? #CX Click To Tweet
A remarkable experience doesn’t have to be earth-shattering, just unexpected. #CX Click To Tweet
Customer experiences can occur absolutely anywhere. #CX Click To Tweet
The most unexpected experiences are the most remarkable. #CX Click To Tweet
- If someone can make an experience out of a urinal, you can make an experience out of your business.
- Customer experiences can occur absolutely anywhere.
- Get creative: sometimes the most unexpected experiences are the most remarkable.
CX PRESS: Seeing Eye to Eye [11:14-25:24]
This week, we’re looking at Jennifer King’s article, “Brands and Consumers Differ on What Makes a Poor Brand Experience.” InMoment surveyed 2,000 internet users and 1,000 US brand professionals, and the results showed that brands don’t seem to be in touch with what consumers are thinking. Customers feel that staff makes a significant impact on the customer experience, while brands significantly underestimate the impact that employees can have.
When customer experience is everyone’s job, then it is no one’s job. #CX Click To Tweet
Brands significantly underestimate the damage employees can do to their customer experience. #CX Click To Tweet
Companies understand that they need to change, but aren’t able to make the right change. #CX Click To Tweet
Customer service remains a key piece of the customer experience puzzle. #CX Click To Tweet
- Brands must talk with and listen to their customers to understand their needs and pain points.
- Customer service remains a key piece of the customer experience puzzle.
- Understanding that you need to do better is the first step.
THIS JUST HAPPENED: Do Simple Better [25:25-34:48]
Cubs coach (who, as Dan reminds us, are the 2017 World Series Champions) Joe Madden has a saying: “Do simple better.” This came to mind when Dan was at a Chicago restaurant called Osteria Via Stato and noticed the way they labeled their swinging doors. One side just said “yes,” and the other simply said “no.”
Do simple better. - Cubs Coach Joe Madden #CX Click To Tweet
Simple is good for everyone. #CX Click To Tweet
Put yourself in your customers’ shoes. #CX Click To Tweet
Make it easy for your customers. #CX Click To Tweet
- Do simple better, reduce the number of interactions, reduce the friction points, create an unexpected customer experience, and wherever you can simplify is a place to improve.
- Simple is good for everyone, the simple solutions free up time for your employees that would otherwise have to spend explaining things.
- Put yourself in your customer’s shoes.
CHECK OUT THIS NUMBER: 45% [34:50-37:45]
45% of attendees of a recent Oracle CX webinar believed that customers want more, but that those expectations are reasonable. So if so many companies recognize that they need to do more, why are we waiting to start doing it? Oracle’s Modern Customer Experience Conference is coming up in Chicago, April 10-12, where you can learn more.
- Attend the Oracle Modern Customer Experience Conference to learn how you can do create an unexpected customer experience and more.
Be a Part of the Show!
We’d love to hear about your great customer experiences, which segments you like, and your ideas for future episodes!
Are You Looking for Things We Referenced?
- “Brands and Consumers Differ on What Makes a Poor Brand Experience” by Jennifer King
- Smarter CX by Oracle
- The Oracle Modern Customer Experience Conference, April 10-12 in Chicago
See you next week!